Friday, November 21, 2008

And So It Begins

Years ago when I was in college and supposed to be choosing a career I made a discovery, I hated college and I really didn't want to be anything. I know what your thinking....classic underachiever. Actually I missed home. You know homemade bread, folks gathered around the supper table, everyone talking at once, little sisters, big sisters the whole thing. I just never felt driven to be something or someone. Needless to say my college career was rather short lived.

My roommate, a beautiful Italian that is still my best friend, and I used to make food for all of our lonely neighbors. There was always a lasagna or pot of spaghetti on our stove. I loved making desserts and after eating apple dumplings just like grandma's our bachelor neighbor said to me " You should be living in a cottage somewhere baking biscuits with birds flying around you singing songs." Well, I guess that was a little prophetic because here I am in a little white cottage, baking biscuits with birds swirling around my head.

The cottage needs a paint job and has a little wood rot, sometimes the biscuits burn, and more than once I have threatened to shoot the birds for pooping on my car (!) but all in all I am very happy with my choices.

I know it is antiquated for a woman to WANT to be a wife and mother but it brings me great joy (most of the time). I have had other occupations- secretary, veterinary technician, medical receptionist, office manager, sales associate, meat packer, home health care worker, waitress, preschool teacher to name a few but none have been as challenging and rewarding as my job as wife and mother. I have used more creative energy and problem solving skills managing a house full of men than I ever used in my "other" life.

We have made a lot of sacrifices that allow me to live this "dream" of mine. My husband works full time managing a feed mill in our small rural community and I work two days a week at a western wear store. I shop for our clothes at thrift stores, our vehicles all have over 100,000 miles on them and are at least 10 years old, I save pop cans for dinners out, and have been known to haul scrap metal to the salvage yard to provide for an overnight stay in a motel.

It isn't a glamourous life but it is satisfying and when I fall into bed at night I can truly thank God for my life and mean it.

No comments: