Monday, January 5, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Well, the Champagne bottles have been uncorked, the kisses have been passed around, and the New Years resolutions have been made. Now, in the words of the great John Wayne "its time to get to the rat killin'".

We said good-bye to 2008 after receiving somewhat of a kick in the pants. My dad has a tumor in his throat on his tonsils that needs removed and the doctors are talking about the possibilities that it is cancer. My father-in-law is fighting prostate cancer and right now its trying to get the better of him. So I have decided to take a page from my middle son's book.

My brilliant middle school aged child is very bright and his teachers always say to me " You know your son is an A student, however, he isn't getting an A, if only he would apply himself." Well, my boy is excellent at applying himself he just forgets what he did with himself after it was applied. He is the king of disorganization and we find maps, science projects, assignments etc. under beds in the closet everywhere but in the classroom. This has been quite frustrating for many English, Math and Science teachers and a couple of parents as well. After a week and a half of "academic study hall" (for those of you from the old school this is actually detention), and some very serious threats to his health by his parental unit, he squeaked by in English last semester with a passing grade. However, my son, an eternal optimist says to me after his two week Christmas break--"So mom I get to stay home on Monday right?" My reply," No, Monday is the first day back to school."
"Well," he says,"You told me if I got straight A's I could have a day off and as of right now I have strait A's" This one is crafty. Our deal is strait A's on your report card earns you a day off (so far I have never had to pay off on this).

After lengthy discussion about terms and exclusions we renegotiate and decide that if he brings home all A's on his mid quarter report he can take a day off. This satisfies all of us and he develops a plan for success. "Well," he says "Now I know that if I get down in English it is too hard to bring my grade back up so I am going to be sure to hand in all my assignments!" I believe this concept was presented to him at the beginning of the school year but I could be mistaken. At any rate he starts with a clean slate, making plans for success and already deciding how he'll spend his day off. You can't keep a good man down!

So, I follow suit. After all it is a new year, another day, another chance! I will make a plan for success, I'll do my homework, plan for a good day and let God handle the things I can't do any thing about! My New Years resolutions always include something crazy like losing weight or getting control of our debt....this year I vow to laugh more and enjoy the people around me. I hope that you have a blessed beginning to your New Year and if you spent a few days in "academic study hall" last year I hope you get all A's (at least for one day) in 2009! Keep your chin up! There is a good day coming!

1 comment:

Patrick A. Allen said...

Ahh, imagine getting a straight A report card.

If I hear, "apply himself" one more time, I'll laugh out loud! Here's the deal, we need to ask teachers what they are doing to keep kids intellectually engaged!

Continued prayers to you all!